Trying to use your Bosch washing machine when its door doesn’t open can be frustrating. Now, you’re standing in front of it, thinking why it’s not opening. Also, what can you do to fix it? So we researched these questions and found the answers!
A Bosch washing machine’s door may not open correctly if it has an underlying issue. The possible suspects to that main problem may range from an engaged child lock to a bad control module.
So, troubleshoot your device to find the source of the problem. Then, fix the appliance's door using the necessary steps based on your findings.
Continue reading as we discuss why the door on your Bosch washing machine doesn’t open. We’ll also tackle some methods to help restore the appliance’s normal functions. With that said, let's dive right into this topic!
Why Won’t My Bosch Washing Machine Door Open?
Engaged Child Lock
Specific Bosch washing machine models have a child lock feature. As its name implies, it prevents kids from opening the appliance’s door, particularly when the machine is still running.
Disengaging the lock may allow you to open and close the appliance’s door as usual.
Frequent washing machine use may cause its door’s lock to acquire wear and tear. The acquired damage may lead to some deformation, leading to the lock becoming stuck.
Warning: Don’t use excessive brute force to open a stuck Bosch washing machine door. Doing so may increase the harm done to the component, breaking it.
Bosch washing machines often have drain pumps to help push used water to respective lines.
Also, the manufacturer included a safety wherein users can’t open the washing machine door if the draining procedure isn’t complete.
So if the washing machine has a draining issue, the door may also refuse to open.
You can also check out our post about the common causes and solutions of water in the washing machine drum when it’s not in use for additional information on this topic.
Washing machines, particularly those from Bosch, typically have control modules. These assemblies are the brains of these appliances.
Control modules that encounter programming issues may prevent the washing machine’s door from opening correctly.
Bad Control Module
Although Bosch washing machines have designs that secure the control module, it doesn't guarantee complete protection for that assembly.
Other problems may allow moisture to harm the control board, causing irreparable harm.
Aside from refusal to open the door, a bad washing machine control module can also promote other problems like:
- Drum spins irregularly
- The drum fails to spin
- Pressing the “On” button doesn’t do anything
- The drying function fails to engage
- Water doesn’t drain automatically
You can also read our post if your Bosch washing machine doesn’t start. That way, you’ll know what you can do to help fix that issue.
How Do You Open The Door On A Bosch Washing Machine?
Opening a door on a Bosch washing machine that refuses to unlock often depends on the problem encountered. So you should troubleshoot the appliance before attempting any repairs or replacement procedures.
Next, you should prepare for the upcoming procedure by employing proper safety protocols. Some of the preventive measures to follow are:
- Disconnect the appliance. Never try to repair or replace washing machine parts while it still has a running current.
- Wear electrical safety gloves. The gloves will help protect your well-being if you encounter issues like live wires and short circuits.
- Wear goggles. Protect your eyes since dropping or flying debris may occur while working with the washing machine.
- Only use the correct tools. For example, using a wrong-sized screwdriver can strip screws.
- Ensure a proper connection. Once you complete the task, reconnect the removed parts to avoid further issues.
After completing the necessary preparations, continue reading this section to know the possible solutions based on the results of your troubleshooting:
Deactivate The Child Lock
Generally, you don’t need special skills or tools to disengage a Bosch washing machine’s child lock. Here are the steps to do it:
- Locate and press your washing machine's “Start” or “RPM” button.
- Continue pressing that button for about 3 to 5 seconds or until the "CL" letters on the display disappears.
Replace The Drain Pump
Changing a bad drain pump on a Bosch washing machine may yield longer-term results than applying temporary fixes to it.
If this component is the reason why you can’t open the appliance’s door normally, move forward with the process by following these steps:
What You’ll Need
- Drain pan
- Screwdriver set
- Torx screwdriver
- Replacement drain pump
- With the washing machine off, place a drain pan underneath the draining area.
- Open the drain cover and let the leftover water escape into the pan.
- Unscrew the washing machine’s top lid and remove it afterward.
- Unscrew the kick plate at the bottom of the appliance.
- Use a Torx screwdriver to undo the newly exposed Torx screw.
- Wedge a cloth or towel inside the washing machine’s internals.
- Flip the washing machine to its side while ensuring that the cloth or towel protects the parts inside.
- Press the clip on the sump hose with a pair of pliers. Then, move the fastener out of the way.
- Disconnect the hose afterward.
- Repeat step 8 for the hose attached to the drain pump. Disconnect the drain pump afterward.
- Install the new drain pump by connecting the drain hoses to it.
- Secure the new pump by returning the lines’ clips to their original positions.
- Return the washing machine upright and remove the cloth or towel inside.
- Reinstall the parts you removed earlier.
- Restore power to the washing machine and test if the appliance usually works, especially its door.
Note that the steps mentioned above may or may not apply to your Bosch washing machine model. Consult your owner’s manual if you find it difficult to proceed with certain parts of the procedure.
You can also watch the video below if you need a visual guide for this operation:
How Long Does A Bosch Warranty Last?
Bosch’s appliance warranty often varies for the company’s different devices. In particular, this brand's washing machine has additional parts warranties. These coverages are:
- 1-year limited warranty for parts and labor for the entire washing machine
- 1- to 2-year limited warranty for non-electric parts
- 1- to 2-year limited warranty for control board issues
- 1- to 2-year limited warranty for motor issues
Note that Bosch has the right to refuse to provide services to its washing machine customers in certain situations.
For example, the company may not provide the repair or replacement services mentioned in the warranty if the users ruined certain components because of misuse.
How Much Does It Cost To Fix A Bosch Washing Machine?
Prepare to spend about $120 to $500 to repair a Bosch washing machine while taking advantage of professional services.
The expenses might increase by approximately $50 to $80 if you use the expertise of a technician to help you in diagnosing the appliance’s central issue.
What Are Alternatives To A Bosch Washing Machine?
If your Bosch washing machine is giving you problems frequently, perhaps it’s time to replace it with a new model. Here are some excellent candidates that you may want to check out:
1. GE UltraFresh Smart Washing Machine
GE’s UltraFresh washing machine helps reduce and perhaps eliminate standing water inside the appliance.
It has a vent that automatically works to help dry the machine’s internal parts after it finishes your laundry.
In addition, it also has other features like an intelligent sensor to dispense the correct amount of detergent based on the current load.
2. LG WM4000HBA Smart Washing Machine
With this LG washing machine model, you can control its functions with a paired smartphone. The rinsing and washing cycles are also quite fast without compromising quality and performance.
Our Final Thoughts
Remember, find out why your Bosch washing machine’s door refuses to open normally. Then, fix that issue using the correct method that best applies to your troubleshooting results.
Also, you can take advantage of the appliance’s warranty and professional services if you find it more challenging than expected to repair the washing machine.