If the hot and cold switch on your Moen shower is reversed, you may be wondering whether you can flip the cartridge to correct the setting. We did some research on this and here's what we found out.
You can flip a Moen cartridge turning it 180 degrees or until it is in the correct position. Ensure the "HC" (hot and cold) symbol and the notch in the cartridge stem are facing upwards.
The procedure is easy and you can surely do it yourself. Read below for the instructional guide on how to flip a Moen cartridge.
Can You Reverse A Moen Cartridge?
Is the water temperature setting in your shower reversed? Does cold water come out when you turn the faucet knob to hot and does hot water come out in the cold setting?
The problem is likely an upside-down cartridge installation and the solution is easy. You will have to flip the cartridge to 180 degrees to put it in the correct setting.
To get to the cartridge, you need to disassemble the faucet first. Flipping the cartridge is easy enough to do it yourself as long as you have the right tools.
How To Reverse A Moen Cartridge
What you'll need:
- Moen cartridge removal tool (this is an alternative tool you can use that usually comes with the cartridge, but it is also sold separately)
- Phillips screwdriver
- Adjustable pliers
- Needlenose pliers
- Wrench (when needed)
- Safety glasses (optional)
What to do:
- Shut off the main water supply
- Open the water faucet handle to release the remaining water in the pipe and relieve the water pressure
- Detach the faucet handle by removing the set screw
- Remove the adapter by loosening the adapter screw
- Remove the key stop and adjustable temperature limit stop
- Remove the stop tube and you should be able to see the cartridge
- Using your needlenose pliers, pull out the cartridge retaining clip
- Using adjustable pliers or the Moen cartridge removal tool, turn the cartridge 180 degrees on until it is in the right position
- To know if it is in the correct position, make sure the cartridge is in the "ON" position with the notch facing upwards
- If you see "HC" written in the cartridge, make sure it is upright and in the correct readable position too
- Return the stop tube, temperature limit stop, kep stop, adapter screw, and the faucet handle
Take note that there might be slight differences in assembly/disassembly procedure depending on the type of Moen shower faucet cartridge you have. However, the general instruction on cartridge handling will be the same.
View this helpful video created by Moen to help you understand exactly how a shower faucet cartridge should be set.
Can A Faucet Cartridge Be Put In Backwards?
You might be wondering why faucet cartridges are often installed backward.
This is because newer models of shower faucet cartridges are washerless, which means they can fit on either side. In fact, it's easier to install it backward, making it more confusing for those who are unfamiliar with the valve installation.
Older model faucets are threaded, making it easier to identify between hot and cold. The valves have stems with washers and threads that you can turn left and right to identify between hot and cold easily.
Do All Moen Products Use The Same Cartridge?
Moen has several types of shower faucet cartridges depending on function. You can check which one is yours in this Moen guide.
To summarize, here is their product lineup based on their website:
- Single-handle: mixing valve (cartridges 1225 in 2 variations, 1222, 1212, 1213) - This standard handle has a push/pull-on/off and water volume control.
- Two or three handles with diverter (cartridge 1224) - Has a hot and cold handle that controls the water flow, plus a diverter handle that diverts water into the showerhead.
- 1/2" ExactTemp Vertical Spa (cartridges 103674, 1248) - Has an upper thermostatic temperature control knob and a lower lever for control flow.
- 3/4"ExactTemp Vertical Spa (cartridges 130156, 147208, 130157, 147210) - Has a thermostatic temperature control and a button to increase temperature range.
- Moencontrol with Integrated Transfer Valve (cartridges 1225 in 2 variations, 1200, 116719 in 3 variations, 162154 in 2 variations)
- Independent Transfer Valve Cartridge (cartridges 2060, 116719 in 3 variations, 162154 in 2 variations, 163127, 200758, 200759)
What Side Is Hot And Cold On Moen Shower Valve?
For Moen shower valves, the cold supply must be connected to the right and the hot water supply must be connected to the left. Remember:
- Cold water supply = right valve
- Hot water supply = left valve
If you're having trouble with inconsistent water temperature supply, such as only either hot or cold water coming out of the faucet, then there are several possible causes:
- Debris blocking the balancing pool so the water is not moving freely
- Lack of water pressure in the hot and cold water supply lines
- The valve may need calibration
What to do:
- Check to ensure that the hot water system in your home is working
- Identify the model of your shower faucet. Procedures may vary depending on the model that you have installed. If you are unsure, you can find the model of your faucet in the Moen website's Find Your Product section.
- Once you find your product, you can refer to the instructions in this Moen troubleshooting guide.
Here's another helpful video on how to flip a Moen cartridge and also to show you which side is hot and cold.
How Do I Know If My Moen Faucet Cartridge Is Bad?
Moen cartridges are usually built to last and are very durable, but every now and then you might chance upon a defective unit. How can you tell if the problem is in the faucet installation or in the cartridge? Here are some common signs:
- Water is dripping from the faucet spout
- Irregular water temperature and difficulty in adjusting it
- Hot water is entering the cold water supply outlet and vice versa
When this happens, you can try replacing the O rings in the faucet. You should also check if the cartridge is clogged. Lastly, if all else fails, the cartridge itself may need replacement.
For cartridge replacement, you can call Moen at 1-800-BUY-MOEN (1-800-289-6636) or go to their website for customer support.
Here's a video of the Moen 1222 cartridge replacement.
How Long Do Moen Cartridges Last?
High-quality shower faucet cartridges like Moen can last for 30 to 40 years. Ordinary cartridges will last you only 2-5 years and will then need replaced.
You can read more about the lifespan of shower faucet cartridges in this article: How Does A Shower Faucet Cartridge Work And How Long Should It Last? [Basics For Beginners]
In most cases, the problem is not with the cartridge itself but with poor maintenance. For instance, you need to re-lube or replace the O rings every few years to ensure that everything slides smoothly.
You also need to remove the cartridge to re-lube and clean hard water deposits every few years. If you don't do this kind of maintenance, there is a high chance that the cartridge will eventually get stuck because of all the deposits.
Are Moen Cartridges Guaranteed For Life?
Moen's faucet products are given either a limited lifetime warranty, a 5-year warranty, or a 10-year multi-family faucet limited warranty. It all depends on the type of faucet you have.
What Is Moen's Limited Lifetime Warranty?
A lifetime limited warranty is a guarantee that the faucet is leak-free and drip-free. In case it develops a leak under normal use by the original homeowner, and there are no defects and alterations made to the product, the product can be replaced free of charge.
Is Moen Still A Good Brand?
In a very recent 2022 Forbes list of the 10 best overall faucet brands, Moen was the first mentioned in the article, receiving an overall rating of 4.9 out of 5.
The brand was included because of its A+ BBB rating, excellent customer ratings, and generous warranty services. The brand received the Lifestory Research's America's Most Trusted Brand award for six consecutive years.
The company started in 1947 and continues to strive for quality products and excellence even now. They remain one of the most trusted faucet brands in the U.S. and worldwide.
If you are having trouble with reversed water supply in your shower faucet, a quick fix would be to access the shower faucet cartridge and flip it 180 degrees.
Thank you very much for reading through. We hope the above instructions helped you flip the Moen cartridge on your shower.
For more information on Moen shower management and repairs, do search our site for more information such as these helpful articles below.