If you are considering purchasing a new mattress cover for your bed, you may be wondering how to fold it. Well, you’ve come to the right place. We’ve looked into an effective technique for folding mattress covers, and in this post, we will share it with you.
Here are the steps to fold your mattress cover quickly and neatly:
- Lay the mattress cover flat
- Put the top corners inside the bottom corners
- Fold the mattress cover into a rectangle
- Fold the rectangle again
Sometimes folding bed linens can seem like a hassle, especially when they have elastic edges. If you are tired of looking at lackluster bed linen folds, continue reading to learn how to fold and store these items.
Steps To Fold A Mattress Cover
1. Lay the mattress cover flat
To help make the process easier, start by laying the mattress cover down flat. It’s easier to use a flat surface such as a bed, work stand, or table. Make sure that it’s facing up so that the elastic edges are facing you. This way, you can easily see the seams on all four corners before moving to the next steps.
2. Put the top corners inside the bottom corners
Next, take the two top corners and fold them into the bottom corners so that the seams are aligned perfectly. You can also fold the mattress cover lengthwise if you prefer a different shape.
3. Fold the mattress cover into a rectangle
Next, fold the mattress into a rectangular shape by bringing the bottom corners up again and folding them on the top. Depending on the size of your mattress cover, you may only be able to do a couple more folds on the bottom or top. Flatten the mattress cover with your hand for a neater fold.
4. Fold the rectangle again
Take the mattress cover and fold it again inwardly. Take the right third of the rectangle and fold it into the middle, and then take the left third and do the same. You should have squared-off edges at the top of the mattress cover and rounded edges where the elastic is. Next, pat the mattress cover down again for a crisp flat finish.
How do you fold a fitted sheet with elastic all around?
The key to folding a fitted sheet properly is lining up the elastic corners and placing them inside one another. Let’s discuss how to do this.
- Start by holding the fitted sheet lengthwise with your hands at the top corners of the elastic. Make sure that the elastic is facing outward. Next, take the two bottom corners and fold them inside out, and then hook them inside of the two top corners. The fitted sheet should be folded in half at this point.
- Next, place the sheet on a flat surface such as a bed or table and make sure that the elastic is facing up. Then, grab the ends of the corners and fold them inwardly.
- Next, fold the top half of the fitted sheet over the bottom half. At this point, you should have a long rectangular strip. Then fold the left side of the rectangle inward, and then the right–note that the ends may overlap a bit. Lastly, fold the fitted sheet in half one more time. You should have a square with one rounded edge.
Have a look at how to perform these steps; this video will demonstrate so that you can fold a mattress cover or fitted sheet with ease!
How do you fold a flat sheet?
It’s easier to fold a flat sheet when laying it on a bed or table. Here are the steps to do it.
- Start by laying the sheet on the bed longways, as it may be too long to hold it taut if you’re standing up unless you have help.
- Next, fold the flat sheet in half so that the long sides are folded and the adjacent corners are matched up. Then, take your hand and run it over the top of the sheet to smooth out any wrinkles.
- After you’ve folded the sheet longways, fold it over again by bringing his left side over to the right side and lining up the corners. Smooth out the long rectangle shape again.
- Lastly, hold the top section of the rectangle and line it up with the two bottom corners to fold it over them. You may be able to forward it one additional time, depending on the size of the bedsheet. If so, this will give you more of a square shape.
How do you fold a sheet set into a pillowcase?
Folding a sheet set to fit into a pillowcase means making the sheets as narrow as possible. Let’s look at how to do this.
Start with the fitted sheet. Here’s how:
- Lay the fitted sheet on a bed or table with the seams facing up. Next, place your hands inside of the bottom two corners at the seams.
- Next, bring the bottom two corners up and tuck them inside of the seams of the top two corners.
- Then, fold the bottom of the fitted sheet again and line the corners up with the seams.
Run your hand over the seams to help flatten them, and then fold the sheet over two or three more times until you have a long rectangle that is about 10 inches wide.
- Finally, take the left side of the rectangle and folded inward about 10 inches. Then folded over itself and continue to do this until the entire sheet is folded into a small square.
Next, fold the flat sheet. Here’s how:
- Place the flat sheet on the bed and fold it over lengthwise.
- Next, bring the bottom of the flat sheet up to the top and align the corners.
- Then bring the bottom of the sheet up again and fold it over until you have a rectangle shape that is about 10 inches wide.
- Next, take the left side of the rectangle and fold it over about 8-10 inches. Then, fold it over itself until the entire sheet is folded into a small square, similar to the fitted sheet.
Fold the pillowcases. Here’s how:
Lay the pillowcase on the bed lengthwise. Next, bring the bottom of the pillowcase to the top and fold it over. Then, fold a pillowcase over again. Lastly, take the left side of the pillowcase and fold it over the right. Depending on the size of the pillowcase, you may need to fold it over one more time.
Finally, place the sheet set inside the pillowcase. Here’s how:
- First, make sure that the pillowcase is inside out. Take the other pillowcases, the flat sheet, and the fitted sheet and place them on top of the pillowcase. Make sure that the open end of the pillowcase is on the bottom.
- Next, bring the left side of the bottom end of the pillowcase to the top and fold it over the sheets. Then do the same for the right side.
- Flip the pillowcase over and smooth out the top.
Have a look at this storage hack, demonstrated below:
How do I organize my bedsheets into my closet?
With a bit of planning, you can organize your bed sheets in your closet in less than 30 minutes. Let’s look at how.
Take everything out
Start by first removing all of the bedsheets and any other personal items from the linen closet. This means removing any bins, trays, towels, as well as any grooming products.
This is one of the simplest ways to organize your linen closet. If you have more than one room in your house, you can categorize the sheets by room, bed size, or color.
Add bins or trays
It’s also helpful to place a few storage bins or trays in your closet to help separate your bedsheets and keep them away from other items in the closet. Next, take a look at your linen closet to determine how many sheet sets you can fit on each shelf comfortably. If space is limited, consider adding one or two bins or trays to help make room for them.
Store them vertically
No matter how you categorize or separate your bedsheets, it’s always better to place the larger and heavier linens on the shelf first and then place the lighter or smaller linens on top of them. This not only saves space but it makes it much easier to find your pillowcases and fitted sheets.
Wrapping Things Up
We hope that this post has helped show you how to fold mattress covers and other bed linens properly. Remember, the best way to ensure a clean fold is to ensure that the edges are aligned as much as possible.
Before you go, be sure to check out our other posts: