Painting the walls of your room can be tedious, and it needs a little patience to get the best result. Although giving it a new look changes the mood of your home. Are you planning to change the color of your walls? You are probably staring at your walls, thus, thinking about how many cans of paint you will need and how to make your room feel like home. You came to the right page because we researched and compiled the answers you need.
Painting a 12x12 room with eight-foot-high walls would necessitate 1.5 gallons of paint. The average coverage for paint per gallon is about 400 square feet for one coating. You need to get adequate paint for your room to avoid a headache from not having enough because you need at least two coats to fully cover the wall's surface.
In light of this, it is better to know the basics of measuring how much paint you will need in your room. Please continue reading this article to figure out what you need to do and how much paint you need for your rooms.
How much paint do you need?
The amount of paint needed varies according to different factors such as surface conditions and the application method used. Listed below are the things to consider when buying paint and how much you need.
- Add the length of all the walls you need to paint from end to end, then multiply the perimeter by the height of the walls from floor to ceiling. Divide the total by the approximate amount per gallon (400 square feet). If you are having trouble getting the measurement of the wall's size, you should consult a professional for help.
- You can use an online paint calculator instead to compute how much paint you need to make it easier. Simply get the height and width in feet and tally the number of doors and windows.
- The rule of thumb is you need to have at least two coats of paint on your wall and one on the ceiling, though it still depends on your preferences and budget on hand.
- You also need a primer before applying paint because it acts as a protective coating for the wall.
- If your wall is porous or unpainted drywall, it absorbs more paint than usual, and you will need more paint for an additional coating to cover the wall properly.
Click here to check KILZ Basement and Masonry Waterproofer on Amazon.
Do you need a primer before applying paint?
This is the part where some beginners forget to use a primer on their walls. They apply paint directly without considering the condition of the wall surface. Primer helps the paint to stick fast to porous or unpainted drywall. It covers the stains and makes the paint apply evenly on the wall surface.
Choose a primer with the same shade as your paint to make the coverage easier. Primer can cover 200 to 300 square feet per gallon, so you will need more primer than paint. You can ask the hardware store for suggestions when choosing the best primer.
Do you need to wash the walls before painting?
Dirty and unpainted walls can have a huge negative impact on your painting job. Paint will not stick to the walls properly because of grime, dirt, and dust on them. Your walls will end up rough with uneven paint; thus, cleaning your walls before applying primer is necessary for a smooth, finished surface.
Necessary Items To Paint Walls
- Prepare a ladder to reach high parts. If it is not available, you can use a stool or chair. Just make sure you have someone to hold the chair for you to avoid accidents.
- You can use an extendable paint roller pole if a ladder is not available.
- Use 9-inch paint rollers and 3-inch brushes for smaller areas.
- Get a blue painter's tape for the edges of windows, doors, and wall jacks.
- Gallon/s of paint that you need for painting.
- Primer for coating.
- Use paint rags or newspaper to cover the floor. You wouldn't want to mess up your floor tiles.
- Fan for faster drying.
Click here to check EVERSPROUT extension pole on Amazon.
How to prepare walls for paint?
There are a variety of paints available on the market. You need to choose which paint will work best for you and what type of paint matches your walls. It depends on the type of walls you have and your finishing preferences.
Here is a list of paint types:
- Oil-based paints work best on most surfaces. They are stain-resistant and stick well to the walls.
- Latex paints have a glossy finish and are easy to apply. They work best on walls and masonry.
- Satin paints work best on trim and have glossy finishes.
- Flat surface paints or matte paints have a simple and flat look finish.
- Eggshell paints have a soft and subtle shine but are not comparable to the smoothness of satin paint.
- Enamel paints are oil-based with a glossy finish.
- Water-based enamel paints work best on interior walls. So, they have fewer odors, dry quickly, and are easy to clean up.
- Primer is either water-based or oil-based. You will need a primer before painting your walls. Water-based primer is used for water based-paints only, while you can use oil-based for both water-based and oil-based paints. Primer seals the walls and adds a protective layer to your drywall.
Click here to check INSL-X primer on Amazon.
- Remove furniture from the wall you are planning to paint to prevent stains. It is not easy to remove paint stains from them.
- You need to apply blue painter's tape on the edges such as doors, windows, wall jacks, trim, and the floor for a sharper finish on the edges and to prevent stains.
- Lay down plastic, paint cloth, or newspaper to cover your floor to prevent stains from paint droplets.
- Prepare your paint roller and dip it in paint. Tap lightly to remove excess paint.
- Apply the paint on the wall evenly and generously.
- Start from one edge to another in one direction. Spread the paint evenly.
- Use a fan to dry it up easily, then wash your brushes and rollers with oil thinner.
- Reorganize your furniture and clean up once the paint dries out.
How to determine the best color for your wall?
Choosing the best color on your wall depends on your preferences, your furniture color, and the mood you want for your room. Go for bright colors to be a statement, or choose light colors if you prefer a light ambiance. It also depends on your budget. White is the cheapest color, and other colors cost more.
Have trouble choosing the right color for your walls? You should read "13 Accent Wall Paint Color Combinations" for advice.
Should you paint your walls or hire a professional?
Hiring a professional to paint your walls depends on your budget and your timetable. Painting on your own can save you money. However, you need to do thorough research to prevent headaches from mistakes and miscalculations. Watching videos and reading articles could help you a lot with painting your walls and save you money.
If you have enough budget to hire professionals to paint your walls, that would be great to save your time and reduce your work. It will be less hassle for you because those professionals know high-quality materials to use. However, the expenses of labor and professional fees could cost you thousands of dollars, depending on the number of rooms you want to repaint.
Painting your walls has a lot of things to consider from your budget, color preferences, and wall conditions. Preparing in advance could save you too much hassle and make your job easier. Researching and reading guides like this article will help you with DIY painting walls, so it won't be too much hassle to start your project and paint your room.
Are you ready to buy the paint you need? Read "Where to Buy Wall Paintings for Living Room" for more information.
If you have dark brown furniture and you can't decide which color will match your walls, read this post: "Wall Paint Colors Go with Dark Brown Furniture."