The Wyze video doorbell is a smart device that is hardwired or connected via Wifi to your mechanical chime power source. So if you have one installed and want to remove it, what's the proper way to do it without damaging the wires and unit? We researched the different ways and here's what we found out.
To remove a Wyze video doorbell, lift the front camera unit until the clip and notch disconnect from the mounting plate. Then remove the mounting plate by loosening its screws.
For wireless Wyze video doorbell, it is connected at the back with adhesive tape, so use a tool to cut through the adhesive at the back and pry off the unit.
For a step-by-step guide on how to remove a wired and wireless Wyze doorbell, do read on below. We'll also cover how to do a factory reset and talk about its other great features.
How To Remove Wyze Doorbell
Wyze video doorbells are smart home devices that allow you to monitor and communicate with people who come to your front door.
It has features such as motion detection, 2-way audio, and a full head-to-toe view allowing convenience and added protection for your home.
Wyze currently offers two product types: the Wyze Video Doorbell, and the Wyze Video Doorbell Pro. The difference between the two is in the resolution, field of view, and installation.
View this Wyze video doorbell with chime on Amazon.
The way you dismount or remove the doorbell will depend on how it was installed in the first place.
There are two ways to install a Wyze doorbell—wired or wireless. The Wyze Video Doorbell's installation is wired by default, but for the pro version, you have a choice to install it wired or wireless.
Removing the doorbell will depend on which of the two products you have and how you installed it. Below are your options.
Removing A Wired Wyze Video Doorbell
To completely remove a wired doorbell, here's what to do:
- Turn off the power supply to the device.
- Switch off the circuit breaker from your main electrical panel that connects to your doorbell.
- Grip the top and bottom part of the front unit and gently press inwards then lift up until you hear the notch and clip snap off. This should disconnect the front unit from the wall plate but it will still be connected through wires.
- Use a screwdriver to loosen the two screws connecting the wires to the front unit. This should disconnect the wires from the front unit.
- Remove the mounting plate by removing the screws. Remove the wire caps, wires, then the wall plate.
- Deactivate the doorbell in your phone's Wyze application.
If you have the standard Wyze video doorbell and want to upgrade to the Pro version, you can do so and still maintain the original wired connection.
Simply follow the removal process above until step number 2 then connect the wires to the new Pro unit. Then you can reinstall the application for your new pro unit.
If you want to remove the entire doorbell unit, follow the instructions above and you will be left with just the wires. This allows you to install an entirely new wired doorbell unit.
Check out this video starting from the 7:35 timeline for a clear tutorial on how to remove the entire doorbell.
Removing A Wireless Wyze Video Doorbell Pro
The Wyze Video Doorbell Pro allows wireless installation so you don't need to attach it to any wires or drive a screw into your wall.
For a wire-free mount, place the back mount that covers the screws. Then, place the double-sided adhesive tape to cover the back mount.
To completely remove a wireless doorbell, here's what to do:
- Turn off the power supply to the device.
- Gently lift the front unit upwards until it is released from the clip.
- To remove the back mount with adhesive tape, you can use several methods
- Use a hair dryer to warm up and soften the adhesive then use a flat tool like a wallpaper scraper to pry it out
- Run dental floss or any type of thin wire through the adhesive
To remove any residue from the adhesive, you can use a product that specifically targets sticky and gooey mess.
Try these acetone-free Medline adhesive remover pads from Amazon.
If you attached the unit to a glass window or door, you may want to read these tips from other users from the Wyze forums on how they removed it. One user suggested using a finishing line to cut through the adhesive.
To help you understand the wireless mount, watch the video below. You may skip to the 2:20 timeline. By seeing how it was mounted, you'll be able to know how easily you can also remove it.
If you tried lifting up the front unit but it still won't budge, you may want to try this technique done by another Wyze user.
He was able to remove the front unit by inserting a steak knife on the side to press the clip and release the unit. Any flat tool with a thin width and a pointed tip would do.
Here are the steps:
- Insert a flat tool on the side in between the front unit and the back mount.
- Position the tool just below the notch to reach the clip in the middle of the unit.
- Using the tip of the tool, press on the clip until it releases the front unit.
To help you visualize, check out this video below.
How Do I Factory Reset My Wyze Doorbell?
Sometimes you want to transfer your doorbell unit and give it a quick refresh. Here's how to factory reset your Wyze doorbell:
- Locate the button at the side of the unit and press and hold it for 3-5 seconds until you see a "Reset successfully" notification on the screen.
- Check the WiFi signal LED light and make sure the lights turn from red to solid yellow, to flashing yellow.
- The device is ready for a new setup. You may refer to the Wyze setup guide for more details.
Can You Use Wyze Doorbell Without Existing Doorbell?
Yes, you absolutely can even if you don't have existing wires for the doorbell. You only need to get the Wyze Video Doorbell Pro which has internal batteries and allows a wire-free mount.
Check out the Wyze Wireless Video Doorbell Pro on Amazon.
Can Wyze Doorbell Get Wet?
Wyze video doorbells are weatherproof but not waterproof, and here's the difference.
The unit has an IP65-rated enclosure. This weatherproof rating means it is suitable for outdoor use as long as it's not exposed to extreme rainwater.
IP65 means it has the highest dust protection level and can withstand temperature changes, and is protected against low-pressure water jets.
However, it is not waterproof, which means it cannot be submerged in water in instances of flooding, or be exposed to heavy and consistent rains.
The best place to install doorbells is on the door, window, or front door wall with an awning so it is protected from direct rain.
Does Wyze Doorbell Have A Battery?
Wyze Video Doorbell Pro has an internal and non-removable lithium-ion battery pack which allows for a wireless connection.
With normal use, the battery can last for up to 3-6 months and can be charged via the provided USB cable.
When charging the doorbell, you need to understand what the status light means. You'll find this light in the front unit.
While the device is charging, the light will be white. It will turn blue once it is fully charged.
Can I Have Two Wyze Doorbells?
Yes, you can install two Wyze doorbells installed in your home if you want one in your front door and one in your back door.
This only means your chime box should have three terminals. One terminal will be for the front door, one for the back, and one for the transformer.
On another note, you cannot have multiple doorbells paired with one Wyze chime. You can, however, have multiple Wyze chimes paired with one video doorbell.
To remove a Wyze doorbell, you need to pull the front unit away from the mounting plate by lifting it up and releasing it from the clip and notch.
To remove the entire doorbell including the back mount, simply remove the screws or adhesive.
Thank you very much for reading through. We hope you were able to remove your Wyze doorbell easily with the instructions above.
For more readings on doorbell installation and functions, check out these other articles below.
Should The Doorbell Be On The Left Or Right?