Do you want a DIY acrylic paint design on your fabric but don't know how to do it effectively? You may ask, "How can I seal acrylic paint on fabric so it can last permanently?" Well, we've researched this question and have the answer below!
You can use heat-setting or indirect ironing to seal acrylic paint on the fabric permanently. Both methods rely on heat to ensure that the acrylic paint sticks permanently to the material.
Now that you know how to seal acrylic paint, let's learn more about acrylic paints and fabric. We'll also tackle the vital role of fabric medium in acrylic painting. Also, we have a list of several suitable acrylic fabric paints and acrylic mediums to help you know your options.
Ways To Seal Acrylic Paint On Fabric To Keep It Permanently
There are two simple ways to seal acrylic to keep it on fabric permanently. These methods are discussed below.
You can use heat to set paint permanently on the fabric using a method known as "heat-setting." This method entails ironing the cloth or fabric on the opposite side to seal the paint effectively.
Use medium-low heat to avoid burning the piece of cloth. Also, let the paint dry for about a day before ironing the material for the best results.
The second method is by using iron without directly ironing the fabric. How do you do this? Heat your iron and hold it on the part with paint. The heat emanating from the iron will set the acrylic paint.
Which Paints Can You Use On Fabric?
Knowing the kind of paints you can use on fabric can significantly help save time. These are:
Acrylic is one of the most used paint on fabric for several reasons. It's affordable, versatile, easy to use, permanent, and can stick to almost all materials.
Fabric dye is also a favorite since it bonds with various fabrics or fibers. Fibers require specific chemical bonds for sticking, so make sure you choose a dye compatible with the material you'll be using.
Alcohol-based colorants work great on fabric as they soak deep into its fibers. The downside is that you won't get much saturation and will need a protecting bond to stop fading when washing.
Will Acrylic Paint On Fabric Wash Off?
Acrylic paint can only be washed off easily on clothes and fabric when still wet. But once the fabric dries, the paint can be hard to remove; it becomes permanent.
To ensure that the acrylic is long-lasting, seal or heat-set the craftwork.
How Long Will It Take For Acrylic Paint To Dry On Fabric?
After applying acrylic to the fabric, it may seem dry when you touch it after a day.
But it usually takes about three to four days to dry completely. However, you can speed up drying by placing the fabric under the sun or using a blow-dryer on low heat.
What Is The Role Of A Fabric Medium?
A fabric medium is a transparent liquid that you mix with acrylic paint to form fabric paint. This medium is essential when using acrylic paint on fabrics for two significant reasons:
- Acrylic paint solidifies when it dries. It also breaks or cracks when washed or twisted. A fabric medium grants acrylic paints flexibility and durability, thus preventing acrylic pigments from breaking, peeling, and cracking.
- It is hard to apply acrylic paint on fabric because of its viscosity. So it would help if you had a fabric medium to thin it and ease the application process. Also, the medium allows you to get a velvety finish.
Benefits Of Using A Fabric Medium
Using fabric mediums offers a lot of help to paints, fabrics, and other materials. Below are some of these incredible benefits.
- A fabric medium prevents paints from oozing when you dilute them with water.
- It can create watercolor outcomes when coloring onto your material.
- A fabric medium helps the paint stick and infiltrate the textile nicely.
- It allows a more generous assortment of hues.
- Some designers use fabric mediums to airbrush their textiles after diluting their colors with water.
What's The Difference Between Acrylic Paint And Fabric Paint?
You can use acrylic and fabric paint for coloring on materials. But what is the difference between these colors? Here are several distinctions.
- Fabric paint applied on fabric sticks for good and feels very soft on the material. On the other hand, acrylic paint applied to the fabric is thicker and more rigid and needs a heat setting to stick permanently to the material.
- The texture of fabric paints will remain the same even after constant washing. In contrast, acrylic paint can peel, break, or crack with regular washing.
- Fabric paint has a thin consistency, while acrylic paint has a thick viscosity.
- Acrylic needs a fabric medium to change into fabric paint. You do not need a fabric medium when using fabric paint.
5 Best Acrylic Paint For Fabric
Here are five of the best and must-try acrylic paint for your fabric and projects:
1. Caliart Acrylic Paint Set With 12 Brushes
Click here to see this Caliart paint on Amazon.
The Caliart Acrylic paint set is Amazon's Choice for 'rock painting supplies.' It is ideal for DIY and arts and crafts projects.
- Certified safe and non-toxic
- Premium quality with rich, vivid pigments
- Versatile and suitable for most surfaces and textures
2. Mont Marte Acrylic Paint Set 24 Colours
Click here to see this Mont Marte paint on Amazon.
The Monte Mart acrylic paint is suitable for most painting surfaces. It has a great introductory set of 24 colors with a semi-matte finish.
- Creamy texture and great coverage
3. Arteza Fabric Paint for Clothes, Set of 14
Click here to see this Arteza paint on Amazon.
The Arteza fabric paint is Amazon's Choice in Fabric & Textile Paints. It provides high-quality painting and art supplies for everyone.
- Washer & Dryer Safe
- Smooth Application and Quick-Drying Formula
- Non-toxic and has no harmful chemicals or fumes
4. Aen Art Acrylic Paint Set
Click here to see this Aen Art paint set on Amazon.
The Aen Art acrylic paint is Amazon's Choice for Paint Set. It contains 16 artist-quality colors with rich, vivid pigments.
- Top-quality materials
- Easy-to-use & non-toxic
- Perfect gift idea
5. Fantastory Acrylic Paint Set, 24 Classic Colors
Click here to see this Fantastory paint on Amazon.
The Fantastory acrylic paint set is Amazon's Choice for Paint for Glass. The package contains 24 acrylic paints with three paintbrushes.
- Easy mix and an infinite range of colors
- Premium quality paint
- Perfect craft paint gift
5 Best Fabric Medium
Below are five of the best fabric medium that can help keep paint from seeping, cracking, and fading:
1. Liquitex Professional Effects Fabric Medium
See this Liquitex fabric medium on Amazon.
The Liquitex Effects acrylic medium is Amazon's Choice for Fabric Medium. It's permanent and water-resistant when dry.
- Long-term durability
- Perfect for improving adhesion
- Manufactured with the best quality resins available
2. Delta Creative Ceramcoat Acrylic Paint
Click here to see this fabric medium on Amazon.
The Delta acrylic medium is Amazon's Choice for Textile Medium for Acrylic Paint. It comes in a convenient size of 80z and has a non-toxic textile formula.
- Durable painted fabrics
- Easy to apply
- Easy to clean
3. FolkArt Textile Medium
Click here to see this FolkArt fabric medium on Amazon.
The FolkArt Textile Medium is Amazon's Choice for Textile Medium for Acrylic Paint on fabric. It's a must-have and trusted brand supply among artists and artisans.
- Permanent and machine-washable
- Non-toxic, water-based textile formula
- Easy to apply and clean
4. DecoArt Americana Fabric Painting Medium
See this fabric medium on Amazon.
The DecoArt Americana fabric medium offers high-quality, great value, and outstanding service. t improves the adhesion of acrylic paints on fabric and softens the finished design.
- Non-toxic paint
- Washable, permanent paint for fabrics
- It helps prevent cracking, fading, peeling
5. Angelus 2-Soft Fabric Medium For Acrylic Paint
Click here to see this fabric medium on Amazon.
The Angelus fabric medium works well on various fabric textures. Completely dry the paint and heat set to maintain softness.
- Won't crack or peel
- Must-have for flexible fabric like sock-liners
- It helps keep materials nice and soft
To Wrap Things Up
Learning how to seal acrylic paint on fabric is simple but essential. Additionally, knowing how beneficial fabric medium is can help you a lot.
Now that you know how to keep acrylic on fabric permanently, are you ready to start your project? Gather the needed materials and follow the necessary steps to achieve perfection.
You can choose from the acrylic paints and fabric mediums above which ones you think are perfect for your artwork. Don't forget to enjoy and have fun with your DIY project.
Made it to the end? Check out these related articles:
How To Use Acrylic Paint On Metal? 5 Steps]
Can You Paint Over Wallpaper With Any Type Of Paint? A Detailed Guide]