When choosing new cabinets for your home, you'll find that there are a lot of styles to consider. Should you go with Shaker or traditional cabinets? If you're trying to decide between these two styles, keep reading. We've gathered detailed information to help you choose.
Shaker cabinets are known for their simplicity, durability, and functionality. In contrast, traditional cabinets are popular for their design features. Both are made of solid wood.
Shaker cabinets can be incorporated into any style of room, while traditional cabinets should complement a room's overall look.
Designing your home cabinets takes work. Find out more about the features of Shaker and traditional cabinets so you can decide which one will best suit your needs.
Shaker Vs. Traditional Cabinets
Cabinets can be both functional and attractive spaces for storage. Choosing a style for your home is an important design decision. Keep reading to learn more about Shaker and traditional cabinet styles.
Shaker cabinets revolve around function and simplicity. They are usually made from high-quality wood, such as maple, cherry, or oak. The style originated about two centuries ago.
The design of the panels is flat, without hollows or gaps. Shaker cabinets traditionally feature natural colors or finishes. They are minimalistic in design, with straight, uncomplicated edges.
Because Shaker cabinets are minimalistic, they suit different types of home design. Also, transitional types of Shaker cabinets mix dark and light colors. The modern style can complement countertops and flooring.
Learn the advantages of Shaker cabinets so you can mix them with your current home decor.
- Shaker cabinets are made from high-quality materials like solid wood.
- The cabinets are versatile. They are available in a range of colors and finishes, from natural wood to a painted or stained finish.
- You can easily clean the cabinets with a damp cloth. Note that chemicals and cleaning agents are not recommended for these cabinets.
- They have a timeless beauty. Given their minimalistic style, the cabinets blend well with different trends and designs. Their style is simple and sleek.
Shaker cabinets have their share of drawbacks. Read on to learn more.
- The price of Shaker cabinets can be high due to demand and because they are made from quality materials.
- The cabinets may not offer enough space for you. Other cabinet styles have more space for storing items.
- The cabinets can be difficult to clean. Dust can hide in the crevices and corners of deep-set panels and be hard to access.
- Shaker cabinets may be too plain for your style or taste, especially if you like ornamental decor or want your cabinets to have a bold design.
Traditional cabinets often have a deep, rich finish. They are frequently made of solid wood, such as mahogany, birch, or cherry. They feature curves and edges.
They emphasize knob designs and materials, such as brass with carvings, and go with natural decor.
Traditional cabinets don't work as well with paint, but you can apply varnish to lift their appearance. This maintains the natural finish while elevating it.
There are different types of traditional cabinets. Some integrate gold touches with dark tones to create a rustic look. Other types include glass doors with wooden frames.
Of course, carved designs will never go out of fashion in traditional cabinet types. They can also have arches. Note that traditional cabinets are not a simple design for your house should you decide to go with them.
Traditional cabinets have many benefits, and they can complement your house. Here are some of the advantages of having traditional cabinets in your house.
- This style of cabinet is decorative. It will stand out in a room. Traditional cabinets are available in various colors, with glass doors, beautiful frames, and bronze, silver, or brass accents.
- The cabinets are easy to repair. You can patch minor damage or dents with paint or wood chalk.
- These cabinets are made of high-quality material. They use solid wood, such as cherry, birch, maple, and oak.
Traditional cabinets can be a bother and give you issues if you have them installed. Consider their drawbacks when deciding on a style for your home.
- Watch out when using water around these cabinets or having them installed near a water source. Too much moisture can lead to mold growth.
- If you live in a humid area, you may notice warping over time with these cabinets.
- You may find the traditional style to be too decorative. It might be overwhelming for your home. Given their shapes and ornamentation, the cabinets may not blend well with the overall design you're going for.
- The traditional design isn't as flexible as the Shaker style. If you add other styles to the room, it can be overdone.
How To Maintain Cabinets
Maintaining your cabinets is non-negotiable, no matter what style you choose.
You should learn about your cabinet materials and find out how to take care of them. Here are some ways to maintain your wood cabinets.
- Make a solution of equal parts vinegar and warm water for cleaning. You can put the solution in a spray bottle and spritz it on your cabinets. Make sure to wipe the cabinets dry with a cloth.
- Clean every corner, including the drawer pulls and handles, using the solution.
- Use a toothbrush and the solution to clean the hardware, trims, and crevices of the cabinets.
- Never use petroleum-based products or cleaning products with solvents, bleach, thinners, ammonia, or strong detergents. They can damage your cabinets.
- Clean up any spills or messes immediately.
- Use a touch-up kit to fix minor scratches or damaged areas on your cabinets. You should repair them sooner rather than later.
What Handles Look Best On Shaker Cabinets?
Gold handles are a trendy choice for Shaker cabinets. Gold is versatile. It goes well with white or blue Shaker cabinets.
Also, the gold color can add lightness and warmth to your kitchen or bathroom. Gold handles are a good match for the plain, minimalistic style of Shaker cabinets.
Which Cabinet Style Is For You?
Now you that you know the positives and negatives of each cabinet style, you should feel confident in making a choice.
If you take popularity into consideration, Shaker cabinets are the top choice of many homeowners. In the end, your personal taste and the requirements of your home matter more than anything when you make a final decision.
Shaker cabinets are functional, minimalistic in style, and simple in form. Traditional cabinets are more decorative, with ornamental designs and intricate hinges and knobs.
Both styles feature quality wood and natural finishes, but they can work very differently when you're designing a space.
When choosing a cabinet style for your home, you should look carefully at the details and features of the cabinets. Getting information on various styles can help you choose the right one for your space!
Discover more about how to style your cabinets in these posts: