You may have come across two trendy colors of black paint from Sherwin Williams: Tricorn Black and Black Magic. If you're trying to decide between the two colors and wonder what their differences are, keep reading. We've researched these paints to help you make the right choice.
Disclosure: We may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Choosing Between Tricorn Black And Black Magic
Light Reflective Value
Effect In A Room
In a room with a lot of light, Tricorn Black can look flat and dull, so you may want to use it minimally or as an accent.
Black Magic gives a chic, elegant vibe to a room and has a glossy, satin finish. Unlike Tricorn Black, it will blend well in a well-lit room.
As a general rule, black paint can make a space look wider and more welcoming with windows and white used as a color contrast.
When combined with natural wood and stone, Tricorn Black makes a cozy setup. It can make neutral or lighter colors pop.
Pairing it with crisp white or gray foundation colors highlights the intensity and proportions of a space. It also looks good with a greenish touch.
Where To Use Each Paint
Tricorn Black is Sherwin Williams' best-selling black paint. It is a popular choice among designers and style influencers and a leading black paint in residential design. Black Magic is also a very popular true black paint.
Dos And Don'ts With Black Paint
- Painting one to two walls black can be overwhelming and make a space seem heavy.
- Blend black with light colors on the floor or trim to create balance.
- A room with many things going on may not be a good match with black. Black calls for a minimalistic style in a room.
- It's a good idea to pair lively or vibrant colors with black to make it fresh and energetic. Yellow and pink are good choices to contrast with black.
- Keep the room simple with black and one or two other colors. You might over-design your place and regret it.
Tips For Using Black Paint
- Always do a color test. With different black options on the market, you need to sample your wall or the surface you are painting to know if it's the right shade during daytime and nighttime. Lighting is essential when choosing a color.
- Know the sheen of your black paint. Some paints have a glossy look, while some can be flat, such as matte black. Note that matte paint doesn't hide scratches as well as glossy paint.
- White trim with a black wall is a classic choice. It creates a great contrast and natural combination. Always go for lighter colors after choosing black as your main paint color. Consider the black paint's undertone in choosing light colors to pair.
Other Colors To Pair With Black
As we mentioned before, black is a classy, versatile color that pairs well with other shades. On its own, black is minimalistic and sophisticated, but when you team it with other shades, it takes on new dimensions.
Here are more colors that blend well with black. Depending on the combination you choose, you can add elegance, liveliness, or playfulness to your space.
- periwinkle or blush
- light brown
- emerald green
- cream or beige
What Colors Do Not Match With Black?
Black is incredibly versatile, but there are colors that you shouldn't pair it with when decorating. Stay away from shades that don't create a contrast with black. Also, avoid pairing it with colors that are similar in tone.
For example, brown is similar to black in that it's a dark tone, and so it does not oppose black. The two colors together can be dull and flat. The combination can also be a bit overpowering.
Tricorn Black and Black Magic are similar to each other. Both of them have appealing qualities that make them the top choices for black interior paint.
When it comes to the differences between the two paints, Tricorn Black is darker than Black Magic. Black Magic has a warm tone, whereas Tricorn Black is neutral.
If you found this article helpful, check out the related posts below: