Bathroom renovations are an exciting opportunity to give your space a fresh new look and feel.
One critical aspect to consider is the type of shower wall panels that will best suit your preferences and needs.
With so many options available in today's market, it can be overwhelming to make a decision. But don't worry; we're here to help you navigate through the choices!
In this article, we'll discuss 5 popular types of shower wall panels that you can consider for your bathroom renovation.
We'll provide insights into the features, cost, maintenance, and pros and cons of each panel to make your decision process a breeze.
So, let's start and find the perfect shower wall panels for your bathroom renovation!
1. Best Overall: Acrylic
What You Need to Know
Acrylic shower wall panels are the go-to choice for many bathroom renovations.
They are popular because they are lightweight, durable, and versatile in terms of design.
Acrylic panels usually come in large sheets or several panels with various colors, textures, and designs, allowing you to match your bathroom style.
These panels are relatively affordable and require minimal maintenance. As an added bonus, acrylic is an excellent material for waterproofing your shower walls.
The installation process of acrylic panels is simple enough for experienced DIYers or professionals alike, which can save you some time and money.
You might also like: Is An Acrylic Shower Better Than Fiberglass?
- Durable: Acrylic is a long-lasting material that can stand up to daily use.
- Easy to clean: These panels have a smooth surface that resists mold and makes them low maintenance.
- Wide variety of designs: Acrylic panels come in many colors, textures, and patterns to match your bathroom's style.
- Waterproof: These panels provide excellent protection against moisture.
- Limited sizing options: Acrylic panels often come in standard sizes, not custom dimensions.
- Not as heat resistant: Acrylic may warp at high temperatures.
2. Best for Durability: Granite
What You Need to Know
Granite shower wall panels offer a sleek and opulent look to any bathroom and are known for their durability.
They're perfect for anyone who appreciates a low-maintenance, watertight solution for their bathroom.
Granite panels are usually available as large slabs, meaning there are fewer grout lines, making them easy to clean and maintain.
While the price may be higher due to their superior quality and luxurious appearance, they are impermeable and resistant to stains.
Their durability makes them a top choice for those seeking a long-lasting solution.
- Durable and long-lasting: Granite shower wall panels are known for their durability, making them a long-lasting solution for any bathroom.
- High-end, luxurious look: The natural stone material of granite adds a touch of luxury to any bathroom.
- Minimal maintenance and easy to clean: With minimal maintenance required and no grout lines, cleaning granite shower wall panels is a breeze.
- Stain-resistant: Granite shower wall panels are resistant to stains, ensuring they remain pristine for years.
- Offers a variety of patterns and colors: Each panel has a unique look with a variety of patterns and colors to choose from.
- Higher cost: The superior quality and luxurious appearance of granite shower wall panels come at a higher price point.
- Professional installation: This may require professional installation due to the weight of the large slabs, adding to the overall cost.
- Regular Sealing: Granite is a highly porous material making them highly susceptible to staining and moisture. You'll need to seal it regularly every year.
3. Budget Option: PVC Laminate
What You Need to Know
When considering a budget-friendly option for your bathroom renovation, PVC laminate shower wall panels make an excellent choice.
These panels have a tongue and groove system, making them quick and easy to install.
They come in various designs and textures, easily fitting into any bathroom style you choose.
In terms of cost, PVC laminate panels are more affordable than other materials like tile, stone, or glass.
- Affordable: PVC laminate panels are wallet-friendly, making them a suitable option for renovations on a tight budget.
- Easy installation: The tongue and groove system allows for a quick and hassle-free installation process.
- Low maintenance: These panels require little upkeep and cleaning, saving you time and effort in the long run.
- Less durable: PVC laminate isn't as robust as other materials like ceramic or porcelain, potentially leading to damage over time.
- Limited designs: While there are various design options available, you may find the selection less extensive than with other materials.
- Less eco-friendly: PVC laminate is not as environmentally friendly as materials like natural stone, which may be a concern for some homeowners.
4. Premium Option: Marble
What You Need to Know
When it comes to bathroom renovations, there's nothing quite as luxurious as marble shower wall panels.
You can't help but feel like royalty as you step into a stunning marble-clad shower.
Marble is a natural stone that exudes elegance and sophistication.
It boasts unique patterns and natural veining, resulting in a truly one-of-a-kind appearance for your shower walls.
However, this premium material comes at a premium price, so be prepared to invest a bit more in your bathroom renovation.
Although marble has a reputation for being fairly low-maintenance, it does require periodic sealing to protect it from moisture and prevent stains.
This extra step is necessary to ensure your marble shower walls stay looking beautiful and effectively protect your bathroom from water damage.
Just got your shower marbled? Check out this guide: How To Clean A Marble Floor In The Bathroom [4 Steps]
- Elegant and luxurious appearance: Marble's natural beauty can elevate the look and feel of any bathroom, creating a luxurious spa-like environment.
- Unique patterns and veining: Every slab of marble is different, ensuring a unique design for your shower walls.
- Durable material: When cared for properly, marble can last a long time (around 25 years) and maintain its stunning appearance.
- Higher cost: Marble is generally more expensive than other shower wall panel options, so it may not be an ideal choice if you're working with a tight budget.
- Requires periodic sealing: It's necessary to apply a sealer periodically. This extra step can be a hassle but is crucial for protecting the panels from water damage.
- Susceptibility to staining: Just like granite, marble is porous, which means it can be prone to staining if not properly sealed.
- Prone to breaking: It's also worth mentioning that marbles are prone to cracking and breaking if not handled with caution.
5. Best for Sound Insulation: Fiberglass
What You Need to Know
Fiberglass shower wall panels are a popular choice for bathroom renovations due to their sound-insulating properties.
These panels are made from a strong, lightweight material that helps reduce noise transmission from the bathroom to adjacent spaces.
The surface of the panels typically has a smooth, glossy finish, making them easy to clean and maintain.
The cost of fiberglass panels is on the lower end of the spectrum, making them an affordable option for many homeowners.
Additionally, they provide excellent waterproofing, preventing moisture from seeping into your walls.
Continue reading: Can You Cement Over A Fiberglass Shower?
- Sound insulating: The material helps reduce noise transmission from your bathroom.
- Waterproof: Fiberglass provides a watertight seal to protect against moisture damage.
- Affordable: Fiberglass panels are less expensive than some other options, making them budget-friendly.
- Easy to maintain: Their smooth, glossy surface is easy to clean and resistant to stains.
- Limited design options: Fiberglass panels may not be available in as many colors, patterns, and textures as other materials.
- Susceptible to scratches: While fiberglass is durable, it can be prone to scratching or chipping over time.
- Installation: Fiberglass panels can be relatively difficult to install compared to other lightweight options like acrylic.
Also Great: Natural Stone
What You Need to Know
Natural stone panels didn't make it to our top 5. But they're a great alternative to the expensive marble and granite!
Opting for natural stone offers a unique and natural look that is difficult to replicate with less expensive options.
Each tile has a distinct pattern or design attributed to the formation of the stone, making the shower walls stand out.
What's more, it offers an almost-similar heat and abrasive resistant benefits as you would from granite.
Just remember that natural stone is also porous. Thus, regular upkeep and sealing are essential to keep your stone panels waterproof and looking their best.
Be sure to read: How to Clean Natural Stone Tiles
- Uniqueness: Each individual natural stone panel has a distinct pattern.
- Durability: Incredibly strong, ensuring your shower walls stay in great shape for years.
- High-end appearance: Natural stone panels instantly add elegance to your bathroom.
- Affordable: Although natural stone panels can be more expensive than most options, they are more affordable than granite and marble.
- Expensive Installation: Installation and maintenance costs can be very expensive compared to other options that can be done through DIY.
- Maintenance: Regular sealing and upkeep are needed to keep your stone panels waterproof and looking great.
- Weight: Natural stone panels can be quite heavy, requiring extra support and making installation more challenging.
Considerations for Choosing A Shower Wall Panel for Bathroom Renovation
When renovating your bathroom, selecting the right shower wall panel can make a world of difference.
Here are some key factors to consider when choosing the perfect panel for your needs.
Examine the various types of bathroom wall panels available on the market.
Look for panels that offer resistance to water, have durability, and are easy to install and maintain.
Consider if you want a seamless finish or if you're open to paneled sections.
While some wall panels can be affordable, others may come with a high price tag, especially luxury ones.
It's essential to determine your budget beforehand and choose a panel that falls within your range without compromising on quality or features.
It's crucial to invest in a shower wall panel that will withstand the test of time.
Durable materials like acrylic or granite are popular choices, as they can endure heavy use while retaining their appearance.
Resistance to Water
Shower wall panels should be resistant to water, as they will be exposed to moisture regularly.
Acrylic and fiberglass offer great waterproofing, making them ideal for areas directly exposed to water, like around the shower or tub.
Installation and Maintenance
Choosing a shower wall panel that's easy to install can save you time and frustration.
Similarly, consider the maintenance requirements of each panel option. Aim for one that's easy to clean and doesn't require excessive upkeep.
Look for panels that are lightweight and require minimal necessary tools.
Related article: Shower Door Vs Shower Panel: What’s The Difference?
Putting it All Together
Now that you're familiar with the best types of shower wall panels, we hope you make an informed decision for your bathroom renovation.
Remember, each option has its unique features, so it's essential to consider the structure, appearance, cost, maintenance, and waterproofing of each shower panel.