Sometimes you find that your picture frame doesn’t have hanging wire on the back of it. What’s the best way to hang the picture in this case? We’ve looked into a few ways that will work. In this post, we will share each with you.
Here are some of the best ways that you can hang a picture without a wire:
- Install D-rings
- Install a couple of screws
- Use foam mounting tape
- Install a sawtooth hanger
- Use plastic clips
Picture frames come in all shapes and sizes. They can also come with various types of backings, some of which may not include a wire. Regardless of the frame’s size, there are numerous ways to hang it without one. Continue reading to learn more about these methods.
Methods To Hang Picture Frames Without Wire
You can typically install a few D-rings to hang it on the wall if your picture frame doesn’t have a hanging wire. D-rings are small, metal D-shaped hooks that can be installed on the back of your picture frame. They’re fairly inexpensive and usually range anywhere from $5 to $20 for a pack. You’ll likely need a small screwdriver to drill them into the frame. After you install the D-ring on the frame, you can latch it onto a nail on the wall.
Install a couple of screws
This method is more of a DIY technique that you can use if you don’t have a hanging wire available. For this method, you’ll install screws directly on the back of the frame. These small screws can be drilled into the frame in a matter of seconds, and only two are needed for lightweight picture frames. If your picture frame is on the larger side, however, it may need up to six for solid support. It’s important to note that when you drill the screws into the frame that you don’t want to drill them in completely.
Once the screws are attached, grab a piece of yarn, dental floss, or even a shoestring to wrap around the screws at the ends. Next, hang the picture on the wall. You can also use this method combined with D-rings and place one center screw in the back middle of the frame.
Use foam mounting tape
If your picture frame is on the lighter side, you can also use tape to attach it to the wall. Keep in mind that this isn’t your everyday packaging or duct tape –and the ladder can actually damage your walls. This double-sided tape is made of foam and will adhere to several surfaces, including painted walls, brick, wood, and wallpaper.
Be sure to follow the directions on the tape closely so that the frame adheres properly. When using this tape, the biggest thing to remember is to firmly press the tape on the picture frame to form a strong and solid bond.
Install a sawtooth hanger
You’ve likely seen sawtooth hangers on picture frames or artwork pieces. These small metal clips contain jagged edges on the bottom that allow you to hang them on a nail or screw on the wall. If your picture frame doesn’t come with a hanging wire, you can install a sawtooth hanger on the back of the frame. Sawtooth hangers can be installed on both large and small picture frames.
However, it’s important to note that the hangers will require two small screws for installation. So, if your frame is on the smaller side, let’s say smaller than 18 square inches, it may be a good idea to glue the hangers onto the frame. You’ll want to use strong bonding glue such as gorilla glue or Krazy glue.
Use plastic clips
Plastic clips are another great alternative to hanging picture frames. These clips are very similar to cable clips, but instead, they have two or three screws housed inside a plastic block. The plastic block acts as an anchor which supports the weight of the picture frame. The clips are a great option to use for pictures that way up to a pound or two.
However, it’s always best to check the recommendations to ensure that the clips will be strong enough to support the frame’s weight. You can usually affix anywhere from two to six hooks on a single picture frame. Keep in mind that the clips will go on all sides of the frame, not just the top.
How do you attach wire to a picture frame?
There are a few ways that you can attach a wire to a picture frame. Here is a method that you can use to ensure that your wall art is sturdy and safe.
Things you’ll need:
- Hanging wire
- A pencil
- Needle-nose pliers (optional)
- A wirecutter
- A drill
- Small screws
Attaching the Wire
- Start by selecting the right wire gauge needed for the size and weight of the picture frame. For example, if the picture frame is over 24 square inches, you’ll need a larger gauge than a picture frame of only 12 square inches.
- Next, set the picture frame face down on a flat work surface. Take your measuring tape and measure all four sides of the frame. Then place a mark on the back of the frame where the holes will go for the hardware. The mark should be no less than 1/4 of the way down from the frame’s left and right sides.
- Take your D-rings and align them to all the marks you made on the picture frame’s back. Use the D-rings as a guide to place marks where the drill holes will go. After you have made all of your drill marks, drill shallow pilot holes in each area. You’ll want to be especially careful when doing this, as you don’t want to crack the frame during the process. This method works better on wooden picture frames as opposed to metal picture frames –metal frames will usually have grooves on the back of them to allow for wire hanging.
- Next, grab your D-rings and place them in position over the pilot holes and screw them in manually –don’t use a drill for this step.
- Now, cut your picture frame wire so that it fits the width of the space between the D-rings and has at least another two to three inches of slack. Use your wire threader to thread the wire through both of the D-rings. Make that there is an equal amount of slack extends from each ring.
- Use your wire threader to wrap the wire around each D-ring by bending and looping the end of it and creating a small knot. Then, pull the center of the wire toward the top of the picture frame so that it has enough slack to hang. Next, gently tug on the wire to ensure that it is sturdy.
How much weight can a picture wire hold?
Picture wire can come in a variety of gauges. Thin picture wire that has a small gauge and typically holds pictures that weigh less than a pound. Larger gauges can hold up to one-hundred pounds, particularly when the wire is braided and galvanized. The packaging of the picture wire will list the maximum weight that the wire will support.
Can you hang pictures with Command Hooks?
Yes, you can hang pictures with command hooks. The amount of support provided by command hooks will depend on the type of hook that you have. While some hooks can hold up to one to three pounds, larger hook support options can hold up to eight pounds.
How do you hang a glass floating picture frame?
Most glass floating picture frames will come with either a sawtooth hanger or D-rings and a wire attached to the frame’s back top. To hang the picture, you’ll need to find a spot on the wall and mark the area with a pencil. Next, install a nail or screw into the wall and hang the picture up.
Wrapping Things Up
We hope that this post has shown you the various ways that you can hang a picture frame without a wire. Remember, it’s important to determine how much support you need for the picture frame before deciding on the best hanging option.
Before you go, check out our other posts: